- High school diploma or equivalent required; additional certifications or coursework in healthcare or customer service is a plus.
- Previous experience in a call center or customer service role, preferably in a healthcare or medical setting.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to effectively convey information and provide empathetic support to patients.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, ensuring accurate record-keeping and efficient appointment scheduling.
- Proficiency in using electronic health records systems and general computer skills.
- Ability to handle a high volume of calls and work in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining a professional and calm demeanor.
- Knowledge of ophthalmology terminology, procedures, and services is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and adapt to changing priorities.
- Active listening skills applied at all times
- Strong insurance knowledge including Medicare, commercial plans, worker’s comp, and verification and eligibility
- Empathy, compassion, and a patient-centered approach to healthcare.
- Understanding of privacy regulations and commitment to maintaining patient confidentiality
The Call Center Representative plays a crucial role in ensuring efficient and effective communication between patients, healthcare professionals, and Atlantic Eye Institute. This position involves answering incoming calls, scheduling appointments, providing information, and delivering excellent customer service to patients. The representative also assists with patient registration, insurance verification, and follows up with patients to ensure their needs are met. The role requires strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a compassionate approach towards patient care.
- Answer incoming calls promptly and courteously, providing accurate information about AEI’s services, appointment availability, and general eye care information.
- Schedule appointments for patients, coordinating with them and the Atlantic Eye Institute’s scheduling system to find suitable dates and times.
- Collect and accurately record patient information during registration, including demographic details and insurance information.
- Explain the need for prior authorization or referrals to patients as needed.
- Triage incoming calls, assessing their urgency and routing them appropriately to the appropriate department. Handle emergency situations by providing guidance and coordinating immediate care.
- Deliver exceptional customer service by demonstrating professionalism, empathy, and patience when interacting with patients. Resolve complaints, address issues, and escalate matters when necessary.
- Utilize the AEI’s electronic health records system proficiently to access and update patient information, schedule appointments, document conversations, and maintain accurate records.
- Collaborate with ophthalmologists, technicians, leadership and other staff members to relay messages, transfer information, and ensure efficient patient care and service.
- Stay updated on AEI’s policies, procedures, and guidelines to provide accurate and current information to patients.
- Adhere to privacy and confidentiality regulations, ensuring the protection of patient information and maintaining data security.
- Assist with other departmental duties as requested.