Job Title: Surgical Coordinator
Location: Bennett / Beach
Hours: Monday – Friday / 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (occasional late / early hours and weekend hours)
Reports to: Marketing & Refractive Director
Salary: Competitive salary and benefit package provided. All inquiries are confidential.
- Sales and/or service experience
- At least 1-2 years of ophthalmic experience
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively multitask
- Strong computer skills
- Superior communication skills both oral and written
- Must present a professional image
- Physical requirements include the ability to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs., kneeling, standing for a long period of time, and sitting for a long period of time.
The Surgical Coordinator acts as the liaison between the physician, the surgery center, and the patient. He or she will control all aspects of scheduling surgery patients including education, eliminating barriers, reviewing expectations,covering pre and postoperative instructions and scheduling surgery. The scheduler must be well-versed in each surgical procedure, as well as be able to sell the patient on the benefits of upgrading to a choice that requires out-of-pocket expense and includes the opportunity of a better visual and lifestyle result.
- Describing the patient’s diagnosis and procedure to be performed
- Obtaining written consent for the procedure
- Scheduling the surgery and preop exam
- Sending the IOL selections to the surgery center
- Ensuring the paperwork arrives at the facility well in advance of the surgical date
- Assuring that the patient has transportation to and from the surgical facility
- Verifying insurance, collecting any out of pocket expense and obtaining surgical authorization and/or referrals
- Discussing insurance and personal financial obligations
- Providing written pre-operative and post-operative instructions
- Obtaining results of pre-surgical clearance
- Assembling surgery schedules for 3 physicians
- Planning and coordinating marketing communications in conjunction with the Marketing Director, including direct marketing, public relations and corporate benefit programs. Participating in events and health fairs to educate and promote the practice is a vital part of this position and will require additional hours.
- Provides assistance with training staff on matters related to the department