- Sales/service experience
- Ability to diplomatically deal with the public and a variety of personalities
- Ability to listen and ascertain why a patient may be experiencing difficulty with their eyewear and resolve the issue once the problem is determined
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as prescriptions, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively with patients, colleagues, doctors, and various representatives involved with AEI
- Ability to calculate figures and amount such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively multitask
- Strong computer skills
- Must present a professional image
- Physical requirements include the ability to frequently lift/move 10 pounds
- Ability to stand, sit, and walk for a long period of time along with occasional stooping, kneeling, and crouching
- Ability to occasionally lift/move up to 75 pounds
- Ability to use hands to fit or feel; reach with hands and arms to make proper adjustments
- Ability to manipulate hot materials to adjust glasses
- Visual Abilities include near, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to communicable diseases common in a medical practice
The Optical Technician performs a variety of patient care activities including filling ophthalmic eyeglass prescriptions, as well as fitting and adapting eyeglasses utilizing the following responsibilities.
- Perform all duties required in an accurate, efficient, professional, and confidential manner.
- Maintain a high standard of clinical hygiene at all times.
- Follow rules and regulations regarding dispensing laws, OnSight Optical’s Procedure Manual, and Atlantic Eye Institute’s Policy Manual.
- Perform duties necessary to order, fit, and dispense eyewear including the following:
- Ability to learn computer operating system to place orders.
- Ability to file vision claims with the various plans that AEI participates.
- Ability to utilize the EMA system to obtain necessary information to properly inform and fill the patient’s prescription.
- Ability to communicate via the email system.
- Instruct the patient regarding the proper wear and care of their eyewear.
- Order and sell additional products available in the department.
- Maintain proper inventory and order when necessary.
- Repair eyewear as necessary.
- Perform accounting procedures to balance and maintain daily sales and record keeping.
- Possess a willingness to possibly cross train in other departments within the AEI practice.