- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- JCAHPO Certified as an ophthalmic scribe, assistant, and/or technician preferred, but not required
- Certification as a Certified Contact Lens Technician (CCLT) from the National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) preferred, but not required
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively multitask.
- Detail oriented
- Strong computer skills.
- Superior communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Able to effectively problem solve
- Exhibits patience and a patient-centered care mindset
- Strong understanding of eye anatomy, ocular health, and the principles of optics
- Must present a professional image.
- Basic knowledge of vision and medical insurance
- Legible handwriting and good spelling skills.
The Contact Lens Technician is responsible for managing and coordinating the ordering process of contact lenses for patients and maintaining an inventory of contact lenses, solutions and cases. Additionally, they are responsible for ensuring patients are successful in learning how to properly insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses.
- Interacting with patients to understand their contact lens needs, collecting relevant information, and addressing any inquiries or concerns they may have.
- Providing guidance and training to patients on how to properly insert, remove, and care for their contact lenses. Ensuring they understand and follow the recommended hygiene practices and the importance of regular follow-up appointments to monitor eye health and lens performance.
- Entering contact lens orders into computer systems, accurately recording patient information, prescription details, and contact lens specifications.
- Monitoring and maintaining an inventory of contact lenses, ensuring an adequate supply is available for fittings and patient orders. This may involve liaising with suppliers, tracking shipments, and restocking inventory as needed.
- Coordinating the dispensing and delivery of contact lenses to patients, ensuring timely and accurate fulfillment of orders. Notifying patients when orders have arrived and following up to ensure patients pick up their contact lenses.
- Inspecting contact lenses upon receipt to ensure they meet quality standards and addressing any issues or discrepancies with suppliers.
- Processes patient contact lens returns and exchanges.
- Submits medical and vision insurance claims for the purchase of contact lenses and medically necessary fittings.
- Maintaining detailed and accurate records of contact lens orders, prescriptions, and patient information for future reference and auditing purposes.
- Keeping abreast of developments in contact lens technologies, new products, and industry regulations to provide up-to-date information and guidance to patients.
- Adhering to legal and ethical standards, following health and safety protocols, HIPAA guidelines, and ensuring compliance with industry regulations and guidelines related to patient care.
- Acquires monthly contact lens sales reports from ABB representative and provides to clinical supervisor, operations manager and practice administrator.
- Provides back-up for special testing and scribing. Assists with minor in-office procedures (i.e., punctal plugs). Obtains consents and assures insurance pre-certification / authorization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.